(http://web-imtm NULL.iaw NULL.rub NULL.de/wp-imtm/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Michael-Prilla NULL.jpg)
Dr. Michael Prilla
Dr.-Ing. (Doktor-Ingenieur, PhD)
Diploma in Computer Science
- Papers accepted for conferences:
- “Collaborative Reflection at Work: Supporting Informal Learning at a Healthcare Workplace” as a full paper for ACM GROUP 2012, together with Martin Degeling and Thomas Herrmann
- “Normal users cooperating on process models: Is it possible at all?” as a full paper for CRIWG 2012, together with Alexander Nolte
- “Supporting Social Tasks of Individuals: A matter of Access to Cooperation Systems” as a short paper for CRIWG 2012
- “The Push and Pull of Reflection in Workplace Learning: Designing to Support Transitions Between Individual, Collaborative and Organisational Learning” as a full paper to EC-TEL, together with Viktoria Pammer and Silke Balzert
- Main interests: CSCW and process management with a focus on supporting cooperative work by organizational procedures and IT tools, especially in application fields such as Ambient Assisted Living (AAL) and service engineering/design for the elderly, collaborative creation and sustainment of knowledge and collaborative learning as well as Bottom-up business process management. Domains of my particular interest are:
- Design of interaction means for different user groups, e.g. for interaction with viszualizations and process models
- The convergence of the digital and real world, which can be seen e.g. in the usage of Pen&Paper technology
- Participation and active contribution of non-experts to central business processes such process management
Get my pubs at Bibsonomy
- Leader of the work package “Collaborative knowledge construction” in the European Project (IMTM / official homepage (http://www NULL.mirror-project NULL.eu/))
- Coordination of the project service4home (http://www NULL.imtm-iaw NULL.ruhr-uni-bochum NULL.de/projekte/service4home/index NULL.html)
Committees and events
- Member of the programm committee of the “18th Conference on Collaboration and Technology” (CRIWG 2012 (http://criwg2012 NULL.collide NULL.info/))
- Organisation of the “2nd Workshop on Awareness and Reflection in Technology-Enhanced Learning” (ARTEL 2012 (http://www NULL.teleurope NULL.eu/pg/pages/view/149922/)), EC-TEL 2012 (http://ec-tel NULL.eu/)
- Member of the program committee for the “3rd International Workshop on Motivational and Affective Aspects of Technology Enhanced Learning” (MATEL 2012 (http://matel NULL.professional-learning NULL.eu/index NULL.php/MATEL2012)), EC-TEL 2012 (http://ec-tel NULL.eu/)
- Member of the program commitee for the 2nd and 3rd “International Workshop on Empirical Research in Business Process Management”, ER-BPM 2011 (http://www NULL.bpm NULL.scitech NULL.qut NULL.edu NULL.au/erbpm2011/) / ER-BPM 2012 (http://www NULL.bpm NULL.scitech NULL.qut NULL.edu NULL.au/erbpm2012/) at the Business Process Management Conference, BPM 2011 (http://bpm2011 NULL.isima NULL.fr/) / BPM 2012 (http://bpm2012 NULL.ut NULL.ee/).
- Organisation of workshop “Collaborative usage and development of models and visualizations” at the European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, ECSCW 2011 (http://www NULL.ecscw2011 NULL.org/).
- Member of the organizing committee for the workshop on “Augmenting the Learning Experience with Collaborative Reflection” at the European Concerence on Technology Enhanced Learning, EC-TEL 2011 (http://www NULL.ec-tel NULL.eu/index NULL.php).
Reviews for Journals
- Computer Supported Cooperative Work CSCW (http://www NULL.springerlink NULL.com/content/0925-9724/)
- International Journal for e-Collaboration IJeC (http://www NULL.igi-global NULL.com/journal/international-journal-collaboration-ijec/1090)
- IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies TLT (http://www NULL.computer NULL.org/portal/web/tlt)
Reviews for conferences and workshops
- 2013 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work CSCW 2013 (http://cscw NULL.acm NULL.org/)
- 7th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction NordiCHI 2012 (http://www NULL.nordichi2012 NULL.org/)
- 10th International Conference on the Design of Cooperative Systems COOP 2012 (http://www NULL.coopsys NULL.org/)
- 2012 e-Learning Fachtagung Informatik DELFI 2012 (http://www NULL.delfi2012 NULL.de/)
- 2012 ACM Conference on Computer Human Interaction CHI 2012 (http://chi2012 NULL.acm NULL.org/)
- 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Science HICSS 2012 (http://www NULL.hicss NULL.hawaii NULL.edu/)
- 2012 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work CSCW 2012 (http://www NULL.cscw2012 NULL.org/)
- Third International Symposium on End-User Development IS-EUD 2011 (http://iseud11 NULL.di NULL.uniba NULL.it/)
- 2010 ACM Conference on Computer Human Interaction CHI 2010 (http://www NULL.chi2010 NULL.org/)
- 43rd Hawaii International Conference on System Science HICSS 2010 (http://www NULL.hicss NULL.hawaii NULL.edu/hicss_43/apahome43 NULL.htm)
- 2009 ACM Conference on Computer Human Interaction CHI 2009 (http://www NULL.chi2009 NULL.org/)
- Fifth Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction NordiCHI 2008 (http://www NULL.nordichi2008 NULL.org/index NULL.php)
- Fourth Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction NordiCHI 2006 (http://nordichi NULL.net NULL.dynamicweb NULL.dk/)
My PhD thesis was concerned with the support of process model usage and development by knowledge management.
Other fields of interest include phenomena of web 2.0 – especially social tagging systems -, semantic web, socio-technical system design, the transistion from personal to group information management and service process design and analysis.
To get an impression of my interests, see my links and tags on Bibsonomy (http://www NULL.bibsonomy NULL.org/user/michael)
Titel: “Knowledge Management Support for the Development and Usage of Process Models as Artefacts for Knowledge Transfer” Only available in German
Nowadays, process maps are being used by many companies for the documentation of processes, for their analysis, their optimization and implementation. Therefore, process maps contain relevant knowledge for organizations. However, practice shows that this knowledge is distributed unequally: While only a few people in organizations use process maps, many others are not aware of them or do not use them.
The reason for this problem can be found in the lack of support for process maps by organizational knowledge management systems (KMS). These tools mainly support textual content. Therefore, knowledge being in principle available in organization is not used to full extent or even gets lost. Facing this problem, this thesis describes and implements potential solutions for the usage and support of process maps as content units of knowledge management. Based on an empirical study, a catalog of seven fields of action containing a total of 37 requirements is derived and implemented in prototypes. The resulting system allows the integration of process maps into KMS content by using social tagging as a means of semantic markup for process maps. Based on this, the system serves as a showcase for functionality supporting the usage of process maps for knowledge transfer.
For the first time, this thesis gives a detailed and comprehensive description of problems and potentials of process maps in knowledge management. As part of this description, it described requirements, their implementation and links resulting functionality to organizational processes of knowledge management. Therefore, it contains practical advice for the usage of process maps as a knowledge resource in organizations. Moreover, it extends existing scientific insights into business process management and knowledge management as well as into the usage of process maps by non-experts and the design of cooperation support systems.
Die Dissertation ist im EUL-Verlag (http://www NULL.eul-verlag NULL.de/shop/eul/index NULL.php?page=detail&match=LISA_NR2=966B) erschienen.
Slides from various events
Collaborative Reflection at the Workplace: Talk Michael Prilla et al. at GROUP 2012 conference (http://de NULL.slideshare NULL.net/michael NULL.prilla/collaborative-reflection-at-the-workplace-talk-michael-prilla-et-al-at-group-2012-conference) by michael.prilla (http://de NULL.slideshare NULL.net/michael NULL.prilla)